N. Shyam Bhat
Phone No (Res) : (0832) 2458377
Email Address : email@example.com
|Qualifications||M.A., Ph. D.|
|Department||Department of History|
|Area of Interest||Modern Indian History, History of South Kanara, Indo-Portuguese History and Environmental History of Western India.|
Research Projects Completed / Ongoing
- “Judiciary and Police in Early Colonial South Kanara : 1799-1862”, financed by the Indian Council of Historical Research, New Delhi, and report submitted in March 1996.
- “History of Trade and Commerce in Goa : 1840-1878”, funded by Goa University, and report submitted in June 2000.
- Title of the Project: “The Historical Interface : Human World and Environment on the Western Coast of India with special reference to Goa and Coastal Karnataka”. Duration : 01.04.2008 to 31.03.2011. Final report to be submitted.
- Successfully guided five students for Ph.D. Degree.
- Presently guiding two Ph. D. students.
- Guided two students for M.A. Dissertation.
- Guided one student for M.Phil. dissertation under Distance Education of M.K. University, Madurai
- Secured First Rank in M.A. and received Dr. P. Gururaja Bhat Memorial Cash Prize.
- Serving at the Department of History, Goa University as Lecturer since 15th November 1988.
- Associate Professor from 1996 onwards, and Professor from 2004 onwards.
- Completed Certificate Course in Portuguese Language (1994-96), and Advanced Course in Portuguese Language (1996-97), at the Dept. of Portuguese , Goa University.
- Visited Portugal (May-August 1996) on a three-month’s research fellowship awarded by Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation, Lisbon, to collect data and pursue research on the project entitled ‘History of Trade and Commerce in Goa: 1840-1878’.
- Courses taught in the Department: Indian National Movement (1857-1947); Colonialism and Nationalism in Asia; Environmental History of India; History of India (1757 - 1857); Historiography in India; and Tribal and Peasant Movements in India (1855-1951), and India From 1947 To 1984.
- Book reviews published: 02
- Seminars/Conferences ((National/International) attended and research papers presented: 42.
- Seminars/Conferences/ Workshops attended: 36.
- Contributions to Institutional Corporate Life and Extension Activities:
- Functioned as Head of the Department for one full term of 3years from 2002 to 2005.
- Organised one National Seminar, and co-organised Three Local History Seminars (GOA), as Head of the Department.
- Coordinated two Refresher Courses at the Academic Staff College of Goa University. (from 11.10.2002 to 01.10.2002 in History, and from 01.11.2008 to 21.11.2008 in Social Sciences).
- Coordinator of Module – 4, Indian History, under the Study India Programme of Goa University organised for the students of Nihon University, Japan, since its beginning in 2003-04 ( that is for the last 9 batches ).
- Local Coordinator for the Workshop organised jointly by NAAC, Bangalore, and Goa University, on 4th and 5th August 2005.
- Director, Directorate of Students Welfare and Cultural Affairs (DSW & CA), Goa University, from 13th July 2005 to 12th July 2008.
- Director, Central Assessment Programme (CAP) for Third Year B.A., B.Com., B.Sc. and B.C.A. Examinations, Goa University in April-May 1998 and again in April-May 2004. Functioned as Director, CAP (for some days only), for Third Year B.A., B.Com., B.Sc., B.C.A. and LL.B. Examinations, Goa University in April 2005.
- Served as member of Academic Council, Faculty Board, Member/Chairman of Affiliation Inquiry Committees (of Goa University), and Faculty Research Committees in different Departments in the Faculty of Social Sciences, Goa University.
- Functioned as Head, Dept. of History, from 3rd June 2011 to 2nd June 2012.
- Appointed as Head, Dept. of History, Goa University, from 10th October 2012, and Dean, Faculty of Social Sciences from 1st January 2013.
- Member of Board of Examiners for M.Phil./Ph. D. Degrees in various Universities in South India.
- Delivered Lectures in various Academic Staff Colleges in South India.
- Membership of Professional Bodies:
- Life Member, Indian History Congress.
- Life Member, South Indian History Congress.
- Life Member, Karnataka History Congress.
- » UGC XIIth Plan
- » Grievance Redressal Cell
- » Department wise list of Journals
- » UGC Regulation For Mandatory Accreditation 2013
- » Decisions / Resolutions of Authorities
- » Anti-Ragging
- » Goa University Fungus Culture Collection Revised catalogue-2014
- » Statutes/Schedule/Ordinances
- » UGC recognized Universities
- » IPR Workshop at GU
- » University Logo
- » Availability of University Studio for Audio-Visual recording
- » Public Notice regarding amendment to the UGC Regulations, 2012
- » Special Committee formed
- » Goa University Alumni Survey
- » List of AIU recognised Universities
- » UGC-Public Notice
- » Post Based Reservation Rosters