Extra Mural Studies and Extension Services
The Directorate of Extra-Mural Studies and Extension Services was established on 20th June, 1986 as per Articles (5) of the Goa University Act. Extra Mural Studies and Extension Services is essentially a third dimension of the higher education. The first two dimensions are formal teaching and research. The third dimension visualises a learning society at large. It includes adults, school drop-outs, professionals, housewives, slum population, street children and a host of learning groups who need not necessarily have a formal qualification to learn certain essential inputs.
The objectives of the Directorate are as follows:
- To impart instruction to those who could not undergo normal education, but whose desire to be educated has remained intact.
- To interact at all levels of education: Primary, Secondary and Higher Secondary, Non-formal education of adults, particularly women farmers, workers and others whose understanding, skills, status etc. need to be uplifted.
- To participate in rural development activities and to undertake action oriented researches to solve local problems.
- To make the common man aware of the impact of science and technology on daily life and to promote a scientific outlook and proper utilization of the products of science and technology.
- To produce reading material and make it available to the people at low prices.
- To collaborate with local voluntary organisations, industries, research institutions etc. to promote the objectives of the extra-mural studies and extension services.
- To make people aware of their past and present history and culture .
- To make people aware of their civil and social responsibility and obligations as well as their rights.