Phone No (Res) : 91-832-2451017, 09423883072
Fax : 91-832-2451184
Email Address : firstname.lastname@example.org
|Qualifications||M.Sc., M.Phil., Ph.D. (Madras University)|
|Department||Department of Botany|
|Current Designation||Associate Professor|
|Area of Interest||Plant Biotechnology, Plant Molecular Biology and Genetic Engineering, Rice Biology & Grain Quality, Plant Histochemistry & Developmental Biology, Plant Secondary Metabolites.|
- G. V. Parab and S. Krishnan. 2012. Rapid in vitro mass multiplication of orchids Aerides maculosa Lindl. and Rhynchostylis retusa (L.) Bl. from immature seeds. Indian Journal of Biotechnology, 11: 288-294 (Impact Factor 0.55). http://nopr.niscair.res.in/bitstream/123456789/14568/1/IJBT%2011%283%29%20288-294.pdf
- K. Datta, N. Baisakh, M. Ganguly, S. Krishnan, K. Y. Shinozaki and Swapan K. Datta. 2012. Overexpression of Arabidopsis and Rice stress genes inducible transcription factor confers drought and salinity tolerance to rice. Plant Biotechnology Journal, 10(5): 579–586. (Impact Factor 5.442). http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1467-7652.2012.00688.x/pdf
- Baskaran, M and S. Krishnan. 2011. High frequency plant regeneration from the mature seeds of Garcinia indica. Biologia Plantarum 55 (3): 554-558 (Impact Factor 1.974). http://www.springerlink.com/index/B22480GQ068620WR.pdf
- Krishnan, S., Freda C.B and D. Supriya. 2011. Histochemical and physiological studies of seed (nut) and pseudocarp (apple) of Anacardium occidentale L. Journal of Economic and Taxonomic Botany 35 (1): 181-188.
- Shilpa J. Bhonsle and S. Krishnan. 2011. Traditionally Cultivated Salt Tolerant Rice Varieties Grown in Khazan Lands of Goa, India and Their Grain Quality Characteristics. Journal of Phytology (Japan) 3(2): 11-17. http://journal-phytology.com/index.php/phyto/article/view/6056/3099
- J. Zhang, A. Bandyopadhyay, S. Krishnan, G. Wang, H. Xie, K. Datta and S.K. Datta. 2010. Characterization of a C4 maize pyruvate orthophosphate dikinase expressed in C3 transgenic rice plants. African Journal of Biotechnology 9 (2) 234-242 (SCI Journal). http://www.ajol.info/index.php/ajb/article/viewFile/77797/68220
- Shilpa J. Bhonsle and S. Krishnan. 2010. Grain quality evaluation of traditionally cultivated rice varieties of Goa, India. Recent Research in Science and Technology Vol. 2(6): 88-97. (ISSN: 2076-5061: An International Referred Journal). http://www.recent-science.com/article/download/3909/1948
- Shilpa J. Bhonsle and S. Krishnan. 2010. Grain quality evaluation and organoleptic analysis of aromatic rice varieties of Goa, India. Journal of Agricultural Science (Canada) Vol. 2, No. 3: 99-107. (Impact Factor 0.34). http://www.ccsenet.org/journal/index.php/jas/article/view/5862/5694
- Baskaran, M and S. Krishnan. 2010. In-vitro plant regeneration of Garcinia indica Choisy from the Western Ghats of Goa, India. In Garcinia genetic resources linking diversity, livelihood and management (Eds. R. Vasudeva, B. S. Janagouder, B. M. C. Reddy, Bhuwon Sthapit and H.P. Singh), College of Forestry, Sirsi, India, pages 117-121.
- Krishnan Sellappan, Karabi Datta, Vilas Parkhi and Swapan K. Datta. 2009. Rice caryopsis structure in relation to distribution of micronutrients (iron, zinc, β-carotene) of rice cultivars including transgenic indica rice. Plant Sciences (ELSEVIER) 177(6): 557-562. (Impact Factor 2.945). http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0168945209001940
- Vidhya A. P and S. Krishnan. 2009. Vegetative propagation and micropropagation of Rauvolfia densiflora Benth. Ex. Hook - A medicinal plant. In: Plant and Fungal Biodiversity and Bioprospecting (Eds. S. Krishnan & D. J. Bhat). Published by Broadway Book Centre, Panjim, Goa, pages 153-162.
- Parab, G. V and S. Krishnan. 2008. Assessment of genetic variation among populations of Rhynchostylis retusa, an epiphytic orchid from Goa, India using ISSR and RAPD Markers. Indian Journal of Biotechnology Vol. 7: 313-319 (IF 0.55). http://nopr.niscair.res.in/bitstream/123456789/1844/1/IJBT%207%283%29%20313-319.pdf
- Parab, G. V., S. Krishnan, M. K. Janarthanam, K. R. Sivaprakash and Ajay Parida. 2008. ISSR and RAPD Markers Assessed Genetic Variation of Aerides maculosum – an Epiphytic Orchid from Goa, India. Journal of Plant Biochemistry & Biotechnology Vol. 17(1): 107-109 (Impact Factor 0.523). http://www.cabdirect.org/abstracts/20083046186.html
- Wakte, K. V., A. B. Nadaf, S. Krishnan and R. J. Thengane. 2007. Studies on lower epidermal papillae, the site of storage of basmati rice aroma compounds in Pandanus amaryllifolius Roxb. Current Science 93 (2): 238-242. (Impact Factor 0.774). http://www.currentscience.ac.in/Downloads/article_41569.pdf
- Nadaf, A. B., S. Krishnan and K. V. Wakte. 2006. Histochemical and biochemical analysis of major aroma compound (2-acetyl-1-pyrroline) in basmati and other scented rice (Oryza sativa L.) Current Science 91(11): 1533-1536. (Impact Factor 0.774). http://www.iisc.ernet.in/currsci/dec102006/1533.pdf
- K. R. Sivaprakash, S. Krishnan, Swapan K. Datta and Ajay K. Parida. 2006. Tissue-specific histochemical localization of iron and ferritin gene expression in transgenic indica rice Pusa Basmati (Oryza sativa L.). Journal of Genetics (Springer) Vol 85, No. 2 pp 1-4. (Impact Factor 1.086). http://www.ias.ac.in/jgenet/Vol85No2/157.pdf
- Nadaf, A. B and S. Krishnan. 2005. Studies on starch gelatinisation pattern in rice (Oryza sativa L.). Journal of Food Science and Technology 42(5), 448-450 (Impact Factor 0.498).
- Marta Vasconcelos, Karabi Datta, Norman Oliva, Mohammad Khalekuzzaman, Lina Torrizo, Sellappan Krishnan, Margarida Oliveira, Fumyuki Goto and Swapan K. Datta. 2003. Enhanced iron and zinc accumulation in transgenic rice with the ferritin gene. Plant Sciences (ELSEVIER) 164: 371-378. This paper received “CGIAR Science Award for Outstanding Scientific Article” for the year 2004. Awarded on October 27, 2004 at Mexico City, Mexico. (Certificate + US$ 10,000/-) (IF 2.945). http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0168945202004211
- Krishnan, S and P. Dayanandan. 2003. Structural and histochemical studies on grain-filling in the caryopsis of rice. Journal of Biosciences 28 (4): 455-469. (Impact Factor 1.648). http://ns1.ias.ac.in/jbiosci/jun2003/455.pdf
- Sellappan Krishnan, Karabi Datta, Niranjan Baisakh, Marta de Vasconcelos and Swapan K. Datta. 2003. Tissue-specific localization of β-carotene and iron in transgenic indica rice (Oryza sativa L.). Current Science 84(9): 1232-1234. (Impact Factor 0.774). http://tejas.serc.iisc.ernet.in/currsci/may102003/1232.pdf
- A. B and S. Krishnan. 2002. Aleurone thickness and its relation to patterns of breakage of rice caryopsis during cooking. International Rice Research Notes 27.1:23-24.
- Krishnan, S., G. A. I. Ebenezer and P. Dayanandan. 2001. Histochemical Localisation of Storage Components in Caryopsis of Rice (Oryza sativa L.). Current Science 80(4): 567-571. (Impact Factor 0.774). http://tejas.serc.iisc.ernet.in/currsci/feb252001/567.pdf
- Nadaf, A. B., S. R. Shukla and S. Krishnan. 2001. Some New observations in Furcraea foetida. Journal of Economic & Taxonomic Botany 25(2): 275-278 (Pre-reviewed Journal).
- Nadaf, A. B and S. Krishnan. 2001. Effect of Cooking on Aleurone in the Caryopsis of Indica Rice. International Rice Research Notes 26.2: 74-75.
- Ebenezer, G. A. I., S. Krishnan and P. Dayanandan. 2001. Structure of Rice Caryopsis in Relation to Strategies for Enhancing Yield. In Rice Research for Food Security and Poverty Alleviation (eds. Peng, S and Hardy, B) IRRI, Philippines, pages 109-117.
- Krishnan, S and P. Dayanandan. 2001. Structure, Grain-filling, Storage Compounds and Transport of Nutrients During the Development of Rice Grain. Proceedings of the 11th ICC Cereal and Bread Congress and of the 50th Australian Cereal Chemistry Conference. pp 755-756 (Available on CD-Rom).
- Krishnan, S., N. P. Samson, P. Ravichandran, D. Narasimhan and P. Dayanandan. 2000. Phyto¬liths of Indian Grasses and their Potential use in Identification. Botanical Journal of Linnean Society (Wiley-Blackwell) 132: 241-252. (IF 2.821). http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1095-8339.2000.tb01529.x/pdf
- Krishnan, S., K. Azhakanandam, G.A.I. Ebenezer, N.P. Samson and P. Dayanandan. 1999. Brassinosteroids and Yield Increase in IR50 Indica Rice. Current Science, Vol. 76(2): 145-147. (Impact Factor 0.774). http://www.iisc.ernet.in/currsci/jan25/articles17.htm
- Krishnan,S., N. P.Samson, G. A. I. Ebenezer and P. Dayanandan. 1998. Structural and Chemical Changes in Developing and Mature Rice Grains. Proceedings of the International Symposium on Rice Quality. Nottingham, UK. Vol. 24. (Available on CD-Rom).
- Azhakanandam,K., S.Krishnan and P.Dayanandan. 1998. Brassin and Benzylaminopurine Promote Yield in Indica Rice (O.sativa L. cv. IR50). Journal of Experimental Botany. Vol. 49. pp 61 (Oxford University Press) (Impact Factor 5.364).
- Ravichandran, P., S. Krishnan, N P. Samson, V. R.Subbiah, K. Azhakanandam and D. Narasimhan. 1996. Eragrostis dayanandanii - A New Species From Tamil Nadu, India. Kew Bulletin Vol. 51(1): 155-157. http://www.jstor.org/stable/4118752
- Samson,N.P., V.R.Subbiah, P.Ravichandran, S. Krishnan, K.Azhakanandam, D. Narasimhan, J. Ponsamuel and P. Dayanan¬dan. 1994. Distribution of Photosynthetic Sub-Types Among Indian Grasses. Paper presented in: The Annual Meeting of the Botanical Society of America, Knoxville, Tennessee, USA. August 7-11,1994. American Journal of Botany, Vol. 81, No.6. pp. 596 (Impact Factor 3.052).
- Books Published
- Rices of Goa and their Grain Quality. 2012. Shilpa J. Bhonsle and S. Krishnan. Published by Goa University, Goa, India. Distribution by Broadway Book Centre, Panjim, Goa, India (Pages 145) (ISBN: 978-81-908791-2-5)(Rs. 699/-).
- Resource Book on Kokum. 2012. Miguel Braganza, Ajit Shirodkar, D. J. Bhat and S. Krishnan (Eds), Published by Western Ghats Kokum Foundation, Panaji, Goa, India.
- Plant and Fungal Biodiversity and Bioprospecting. 2009. S. Krishnan & D. J. Bhat (Eds), Published by Broadway Book Centre, Panjim, Goa (March 2009) (Pages 187) (ISBN: 978-81-905716-0-9)(Rs. 795/-).
Research Projects Completed / Ongoing
- Preventing extinction and improving conservation status of threatened plants through application of biotechnological tools, DBT, New Delhi, (Co-PI), (2012-2017), Rs. 35.71 L.
- In-situ conservation of critically endangered monotypic tree genus (Pseudoglochidion) and a shrub species (Phyllanthus talbotii) of Western Ghats using conventional and biotechnological tools, DBT, New Delhi, (Co-I), (2008-2013), Rs. 55.45 L.
- Grain Quality Evaluation, Chalkiness Formation and Molecular Genetic Diversity of Rice Varieties of Goa (PI), DST & E, Goa, (2010-2013), Rs. 5.5 L.
- Histochemical, Biochemical and Tissue Culture Studies of Garcinia indica Choisy (Kokum) (PI), CSIR, New Delhi, (2007-2011), Rs. 18.5 L.
- Collection, Documentation and Micropropagation of Selected Orchids of Western Ghats of Goa. Phase I & II (Co-PI), Planning Commission, New Delhi, (2002-2009).
- Histochemical and Physiological Studies on Seed and Pseudocarp of Anacardium occidentale L.” (PI), (2001-2004), Rs. 6.72 L.
- Histochemical and Biochemical Analysis of Aroma (2-acetyl-1-pyrroline and Other Related compounds) in Basmati and Scented Rice Varieties (PI), CSIR, New Delhi, (2000-2003), Rs. 14.5 L.
- Ultra-structure of Transport Pathways in Rice Caryopsis During Grain-filling (PI), DST, New Delhi, (1998-2000), Rs. 4.8 L.
- Micropropagation, biochemical and molecular studies of selected Orchids of Western Ghats of Goa and its environs, Ph.D. awarded to Govind V. Parab on 17th Feb. 2010.
- Micropropagation, biochemical and histochemical studies of Garcinia indica Choisy (Kokum), Ph.D. Thesis Submitted by M. Baskaran on 27 August 2012.
- “CGIAR Science Award” for Outstanding Scientific Article for the year 2004 “Enhanced iron and zinc accumulation in transgenic rice with the ferritin gene” Paper published in Plant Sciences. Awarded on October 27, 2004 at Mexico City, Mexico.
- “Biotechnology Overseas Associateship” from the Department of Biotechnology (DBT), New Delhi, India, 2004-05, One year.
- BOYSCAST Fellowship Award from the Department of Science & Technology, New Delhi, India, 2002, 3 Months.
- The International Rice Research Institute (IRRI) Fellowship, Philippines, 13 May to 12 June 2002, One Month.
- Visit Abroad
- Delivered a Plenary Presentation on “Metabolic Engineering of Rice to Improve Protein Quality” in the 56th Australian Cereal Chemistry Conference held at Fremantle, Perth, Australia. 10-14 September 2006.
- “Visiting Research Fellow” at International Rice Research Institute (IRRI), Philippines, using Biotechnology Overseas Associateship from the Department of Biotechnology (DBT), New Delhi. 26 August 2004 to 25th August 2005 (one year).
- “Visiting Research Fellow” at International Rice Research Institute (IRRI), Philippines. 14 February to 12 June 2002 (4 months).
- Presented a research paper in the International Symposium on “11th World Cereals and Bread Congress” held during 8-15 September 2000 at Gold Coast, Brisbane, Australia.
- Attended International Workshop on “Transgenic Rice: Production and Development with Special Reference to Sheath Blight and Stem Borer Resistance”. 11-29 October 1999. The International Rice Research Institute (IRRI), Philippines.
- Presented a Research Paper in the International Symposium on “Rice Quality” held at Nottingham, UK; Visited Department of Life Sciences, University of Nottingham, UK; Visited Jodrell Laboratory, Royal Botanical Garden, Kew, London. 24th November to 3rd December 1997.
- Life Member - Association of Rice Research Workers, India (with effect from the year 2002).